Are Restaurants are quickly getting to grips with allergies?
Eating out with an allergy can be difficult at times. 22-year-old Olivia knows the feeling all too well, as she suffers with a severe nut allergy. I spoke to her about her experiences, and wanted to share her top four tips for eating out - whether you’re with friends, family or grabbing a lunch-to-go.
Olivia’s Top Tips:
As I have gotten older I have quickly realised that eating out isn’t as stressful as I once believed it was. Restaurants are quickly getting to grips with dealing with allergies, with most providing allergy menus and help to alleviate any worries I have. When eateries don’t have an allergy menu, ensuring the server understands how to manage an allergy is key. I always check these four things:
· Does the dish contain any allergens?
· Is any part of it made in a factory that handles the allergen?
· What oil do you use?
· Can you ensure that the food can be made away from the allergen in the kitchen to prevent cross-contamination?
Having an allergy and eating out can have major drawbacks. I personally find it too risky to eat certain cuisines where nuts are a predominate ingredient, such as Indian or Chinese. However, there are so many other good cuisines that are far safer alternatives. I have found that Turkish, Greek and French are great for allergies!
I am always very sensible when I eat out, usually opting away from anything that usually contains nuts e.g. bread and desserts and always ask for the allergy menu. These days I find that most places are equipped for allergies so usually feel safe!
Top 4 tips for eating out:
1. Always try and Google beforehand to see whether they have an allergy menu or call up and see if they can cater for an allergy
2. Stay well away from cuisines that use a lot of nuts e.g Indian, Chinese, Thai- It's not worth it!
3. Always check and don’t just assume you can’t eat something- sometimes they might surprise you or offer alternatives
4. Don’t be embarrassed to as for an allergy menu- its great to see all your options